The Nebraska Democratic Party continues to build a team of strong, experienced staff to help reform the party, raise resources, train the grassroots, lead on issues important to voters and elect candidates across our state.
POSITION TITLE: Nebraska Democratic Party Communications Director
REPORTS TO: Nebraska Democratic Party Executive Director
LOCATION: Lincoln or Omaha, Nebraska / Flexible with possible location in other parts of the state
SCOPE OF POSITION: The Communications Director, working with the Executive Director, State Chair, party officers and elected officials, oversees all messaging of the state party.
The Communications Director is responsible for creating narratives, strategy and messages — online and offline — to help win elections for Democrats in a complex, competitive political environment. By building relationships with traditional and nontraditional press, driving collaborative messaging with local party groups, candidates and elected officials while maintaining awareness of current events, the Communications Director promotes the Nebraska Democratic Party’s public image.
EXPERIENCE: To apply for this job, you must have at least five years of professional nonprofit, business or political communications experience. Additionally, you must have online and offline communications experience. Specific responsibilities and skills needed are listed below.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The position is responsible, at a minimum, for the following:
- Serve as the chief communicator of the Nebraska Democratic Party.
- Prepare speeches and other communications pieces for party leaders.
- Develop and maintain relationships with traditional (i.e. print, tv, radio) and nontraditional (i.e. bloggers, podcasts, online news shows, social media influencers) members and outlets.
- Identify and maximize on opportunities for press including finding issues that align with our Democratic Platform, keeping Republicans accountable and hopping on hot topics to keep party leaders and the Democratic brand in the press.
- Write all talking points, blogs, web content, and press releases.
- Maintain and expand all forms of the party’s communication including the press list, website, Facebook page, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter accounts.
- Oversee content creation–graphics, microsites, emails–with outside communication firms.
- Facilitate press conferences and other media events.
- Develop a plan for weekly messages, press releases, online communications, relationships with journalists, and other innovative ways to ensure we connect with voters and keep Republicans accountable.
- Assist candidates on creation/setting up basic communications including website, logo, profile picture, Facebook page and Act Blue page.
- Train candidates and party leaders on communicating with the press and public including tips for going on TV, doing radio interviews and how to engage with social media.
- Attend — as needed — Democratic National Committee and the Association of State Democratic Chairs meetings with the Nebraska Party Chair and other officers.
- Attend and help plan all State Central Committee meetings and the NDP annual fundraisers.
- Write a weekly blog to update stakeholders on NDP developments and events.
SKILLS REQUIRED: Candidates must have the following skills:
- At least five years experience in a communications position inside a political campaign, public sector, non-profit, private industry and/or trade association. The ideal profile of career experiences would include a blend of sectors.
- Clear understanding of all communications aspects of winning elections including polling, grassroots/issue-based messaging and new technology being used to communicate with voters (e.g. Instagram, texting, etc).
- Ability to establish and maintain a credible reputation and high-profile presence in the press community on behalf of the Nebraska Democratic Party.
- Proven experience in writing issue messaging, speeches, press releases and other forms of communications with knowledge of AP style.
- Relationships with state and national press.
- Media experience with on-air TV, writing of blogs, radio and print interviews.
- Track record of bringing creative solutions to the job.
- Knowledge and understanding of political dynamics within Nebraska.
SALARY + BENEFITS: This is a full-time, union position with the following benefits:
- Salary range is $36,000 – 60,000 depending on experience.
- In addition to the salary, the NDP pays 100% of your health, vision and dental insurance.
- Staff acquire PTO time in addition to all federal holidays as paid time off and flex schedule for the week between Christmas and New Years.
- Staff are part of the IBEW Local 265 Union.
- Hours of work are M-F, eight hours each day. The standard work week can be up to 50 hours. However, during SCC Meetings and other events, the work week is longer, including some weekends.
- Staff are expected to work from the Omaha or Lincoln office during the week with some ability to work from home.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to NDP Executive Director Precious McKesson: email@example.com