- Background: Understanding the Process
Every four years, an election for President of the United States is held. As part of that process, each political party engages in a primary election to decide which candidate advances.
As a part of this primary process, each state is responsible for electing a slate of delegates who will represent the state at the Democratic National Convention. The Delegate Selection Plan lays the outline for how these Delegates will be elected.
To ensure the process is fair and transparent, the public was encouraged to engage in public comment. The public comment period lasted 30 days, beginning on March 30 and ending on April 29, 2023. The final Delegate Selection Plan is below.
The State Convention is June 7-9 in Hastings, Nebraska.
The National Convention is August 19-22 in Chicago, Illinois.
If you have an ADA request, please make sure to complete the county convention form if you are attending your local meeting. If you become a state convention delegate, there is a form you will also be sent to request reasonable accommodations. If you plan to attend the state convention as a guest, and not an elected delegate, then please contact our office with requests.
If you have any questions about the Delegate Selection Plan or the Delegate Selection Process please email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call our office at 402-434-2180.
Quick links to forms
– County Convention Info (for county chairs only), due on February 16, 2024
– Declaration of National Delegate Candidacy (will be posted on April 26), due on May 31
– Register for your County Convention, due 48 hours before your convention. This will expedite your attendance. This also informs us of any ADA request.
– Starting May 18, Register for the State Convention (delegates elected at the county level only)
The Nebraska Democratic Party will provide training for those wishing to be delegates, that training will be understandable those who may not be well-versed in the party structure and processes. All are welcome!
We will host both in-person and online training sessions.
Nebraska will send a vibrant and diverse delegation of 34 Nebraska Democrats to Chicago for the National Convention.
- Chair Kleeb, Vice Chair Kaminiski, Committeewoman Ligon, Committeeman Flowerday, and DNC Member Dunixi Guereca are automatic delegates.
- The remaining delegation will consist of 20 district-level delegates allocated amongst our three congressional districts,
- 3 Party Leader and Elected Official (PLEO) delegates,
- and 6 at-large delegates, all of whom will be elected at the NDP State Convention. We will also elect 2 district-level alternates.
- February 16, 2024 – Counties must certify their County Convention dates with the NDP
- April 26, 2024 – National Delegate Application Available
- May 14, 2024 – Presidential Primary
- NOTE: You must vote in the Democratic Primary to participate in the National Delegate process
- May 18-28, 2024 – County Conventions
- May 31, 2024 – National Delegate Application closes at 5 pm
- June 7-9, 2024 – State Convention, Hastings Nebraska
- August 19-22 – National Conventions, Chicago Illinois
Background: Understanding the Process
The Delegate Selection Plan was drafted by the Nebraska Democratic Party’s Special Committee for the Delegate Selection Plan. The Democratic National Committee (DNC) provided that a specific timeline and set of guidelines must be followed for the Delegate Selection Plan.
This Committee was chaired by Trevor Fitzgerald, who serves as the NDP Rules Committee Chair. Chair Fitzgerald, as well as a committee of eight other members, met over a series of meetings in order to assemble the draft of the Delegate Selection Plan that has been provided.
The State Central Committee voted to give authority to the State Executive Committee to approve the draft plan. The SEC voted unanimously on March 29, 2023, to approve the draft plan. Additional information about the ongoing process is below.
Delegate Selection Plan Committee Members
- Trevor Fitzgerald
- Patty French
- Stephanie Matejka
- Charlene Ligon
- Ben Cass
- Millie Worthington
- Jennifer Norris
- Shannon Graves
- Kathy Jensen
Inclusion Committee Members
- Cynthia LaMere
- Larissa Schultz
- Charlene Ligon
- Zachary Mora James
- Pastor Janet Banks
- Michael Marcheck
- Adrian Sanchez
- Earlen Gutierrez
- Cori Villegas
Delegate Selection Plan Documents
DSP Process Timeline
- The SEC approved the draft plan on May 1, 2023.
- The plan was sent to the DNC for review on May 3, 2023.
- The DNC reviewed the plan and with a few corrections made by the NDP, the plan was approved in October 2023.
- In the coming months we will include information on how to submit paperwork as the first step in trying to be a delegate to the State and National Conventions
- The State Party will hold online and in-person trainings
- County Parties will plan and hold their county conventions and elect State Convention Delegates from May 18- May 28
- The State party will hold the State Convention on where National Delegates are elected